Scoring explanation and editing of player skills

Need Help on using StatsGenie v3? Check out this forum to see if your question is answered or post-it here.
Bug reports may also be posted here.
Phelms
Hockey Sticks
Hockey Sticks

Scoring explanation and editing of player skills

Post by Phelms »

In the Player vs Player screen, the bottom shows a count of victories and a percentage. How is this calculated?

In the tournaments (and throughout the site), there is a ranking of an individual player (poker newbie -> poker pro), and attendance score etc.
How do I edit these?

I use Dr. Neau tournament v3 as import data of the tournaments.

StatsGenie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scoring explanation and editing of player skills

Post by StatsGenie »

Hi Phelms,

For the Player vs Player, victories = Win or Tie of a categorie listed above VS the other player selected (Green bar or 0 on both sides)

If you wish to remove unused categories, you need to use the filter icon under the VS sign in the header.

For the player rankings, The "Skills" value has some auto completion based on tournament finish position. For other player "ratings" and manual skill ratings, you need to "rate a tournament".

To rate tournaments:
  • - Under the 'My Account' Tab
    - In the left 'My Leagues' section
    - Click on 'Tournament Ratings' drop down and select a tournament you wish to rate
    • -you should see unrated tournaments here. If you don't see any, it is because you haven't played in a tournament in the last month or so
    - click on the pen to edit.
    - In the 'Rate this tournament' section, click on icons to rate tournament
    - Switch to 'Rate Players' tab to rate your players
    - Save your changes :)
    - If you go back to an already rated tournament, your rated players will be under "Players Rated" tab, you can edit them there and save.
Let us know if you need more help!

Phelms
Hockey Sticks
Hockey Sticks

Post by Phelms »

Great. Thanks :).

Follow-up question: How many tournaments should be played, before the "auto-skilling" of players, based on position in tournaments, kick in? So far, we only have played two tournaments this season.

StatsGenie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by StatsGenie »

Normally, the number of tournaments should have no impact.

After verification, it seems the "Auto-Rate" for player skills is only ran on manual insertion of tournaments.

StefanRob
Beer Hand
Beer Hand

Post by StefanRob »

Is there an alternative to running players skills on manual insertion of tournaments?

StatsGenie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by StatsGenie »

Yes, we will implement the auto-rate players on tournament import as well.

In the meantime, players will have to be rated manually if you import a tournament :)

Supersonics
Dimes
Dimes

Post by Supersonics »

Out of nowhere, some of the players in my league started getting the Green Star ratings. I wonder how that happened all of the sudden after 35 tournaments were played and this never showed up. Am I able to Automatically Rate all of my tournaments so everyone receives a rating based on tourney performance?

I read through the instructions above about how to go in and rate a tournament, but does this mean I need to manually select a 1 star through 5 star rating for each player on each tournament? Any feedback you can provide me on how to go about applying ratings to the 39 tournaments we have played would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Supersonics

StatsGenie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by StatsGenie »

Hi,

Usually, the system should apply a rating based on tournament finish position (top 90% => 5 stars, top 80% => 4.5 etc...). And compile ratings based on system ratings + user ratings (manually rated tournaments as explained above).

We have pushed the priority up a bit for this in our backlog, but it did not make the cut for current sprint, so we should include this sometime in june-july. Once we include this, we will run a script to update retro-actively all player rankings based on tournaments they played in.

Supersonics
Dimes
Dimes

Post by Supersonics »

I'm going to take a stab at ranking a lot of the tournaments I've held and I'll check back here after.

Thanks,
Supersonics

Supersonics
Dimes
Dimes

Post by Supersonics »

I am interested in using the Ranking Stars to indicate how many of my 'Main Event' tournaments players have won. Throughout my 3 Seasons of hosting tournaments, we have one player who has taken down 4 tournaments, and I just think it would be so cool to see 4 stars lit up for that. We have one other player with 3, and then a few with 2, and then 20 or so with 1. So, in theory, this would work for now, but when my leader takes down his 6th tourney, I guess I'll have to come up with a new idea, maybe something with his Player Picture. But, I just feel this system is underutilized, and I really don't want to rank my players, people already know their ranking by their Net Win/Loss ;) and nobody in my league would want to see that they only have 1/2 star, etc...

I take screenshots of all of the trophies I award after a night of poker, and I email this out to my group along with other info. I just hate seeing all of those empty starts in their pictures. ;(

I have hand-entered 200+ tournaments into StatsGenie, and I cannot find the one or possibly two tournaments I ranked. Since the system only allows me to look back through 'My Account' at the past 30 days, I can't find that ranked tourney there. And in the 'Manage Leagues' 'Ranking Management' I cannot find any ranked tournaments.

Maybe there is a trick you can think of to help me accomplish this? Also, if there is always a 30 day rolling window, would I be forced to update this every 30 days, e.g. say a player with 2 stars wins his 3rd Main Event. I would simply wipe out his manual tourney where I gave him 2 star and add a 3rd. But... if the rolling 30 day window makes that disappear from my view, I'm stuck.

Sorry for the long post, I realize this is probably a longshot request. If it isn't possible, I would love to add this to a future update wish list.

Thanks,
Supersonics

StatsGenie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by StatsGenie »

Hi,

This rating feature is mostly unused. It was first implemented to be able to rank players so that public events could be "organized" with certain criteria, public events have not been used at all... And rating players, aside from the annoying emails, have not lifted very much either.

So we could probably replace the "rating" stars by "Trophy medals/ ribbon decorations" (I see it like military medals / decorations on uniform). and display "Positive trophies only" regrouped by league/season or filter.

We could add a secondary smaller rectangular image for each trophy to represent the "Ribbon" and would display Ribbons instead of current rating stars?? (Your Ribbon image for tournament Event could be a star of your choosing for example).

So in your example, if you assign trophies for winning an event, the player would have the "decoration" on his profile instead of the stars...

Would this make sense?

Supersonics
Dimes
Dimes

Post by Supersonics »

That would be really neat. I personally have hosted an average of 1 tournament a day since April, so I award A LOT of trophies. However, my Main Event is the main featured and ranked (I award Points) so it is my consistent tournament that takes place nearly every weekend. For me personally, having the ability to manually add trophies, ribbons, whatever SG decides, would be a really nice feature and it would make that profile shot more visually interesting instead of seeing blank stars.

Supersonics
Dimes
Dimes

Post by Supersonics »

SG could make it universal too. So any league manager could add whatever trophies were appropriate for the current season. Then when a new season starts, just clear them all out and start new. Seems like that would be the easiest way to implement, but I am definitely not a programmer, far from it. ROFL